Commonly known as “Mem Gym,” the Memorial Gymnasium was built in 1929 as a memorial to all Idahoans who lost their lives in World War 1. The building was designed by UI faculty members David C. Lang, University Architect and head of the Department of Architecture, and Theodore Pritchard, Assistant Professor of Art. It features many architectural quirks such as the leatherhead-footballer gargoyles that decorate its walls and windows. Extensive renovation was completed in 1954. It has served as a sports arena and physical education venue seating 2,500 as well as for UI commencements and other events. First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt gave a lecture in the main gymnasium in 1938, which is one of many reasons that the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places at the relatively young age of 49 years in 1977.
PG 1-61-40; today photo by UI Library Special Collections staff