The Coeur d’Alene Mining & Smelting Company was incorporated in the State of Idaho on July 18, 1904, with a capitalization of 1,000,000 shares at a par value of $1.00 a share. Stanley Fairweather was the president of the company until 1915 when he was succeeded by Dennis Goggin. In 1917 Alex D. Wallace became president and remained in that office until 1937.
The property of the company originally consisted of seven unpatented claims, about 140 acres, in the Placer Center District, 3.5 miles north of Wallace; three unpatented claims were acquired later. Development, financed by stock assessments, consisted of two tunnels, the upper one of 900 feet, and a lower one of 1400 feet, and a 100 foot shaft. The property became idle in 1935, and was absorbed by Dayrock Mining Company in 1937.