The Pennsylvania Smelting Company, with George Faunce as president, was incorporated in Pennsylvania on June 5, 1899. Its plant occupied a 3,832 acre site near Carnegie formerly owned by the Pennsylvania Lead Company. In 1916 the plant treated 32,725 tons of ore and bullion, much of the bullion was from the Day-owned Northport Smelting & Refining Company in Northport, Washington; it shipped 26,925 tons of lead, 2,505,000 ounces of silver, and 4,275 ounces of gold. The following year was one of the worst for the smelter as, due to the war and government priority on freight cars, it was almost impossible to get material to the plant. But, because of the war, there was an increased need for lead and between July 1917 and November 1918, the smelter supplied 14,847 tons of lead to the government. Total production in 1918 was up 30.5% over 1916: 42,941 tons of ore and bullion treated, 40,850 tons of lead, 3,040,629 ounces of silver and 4,871 ounces of gold were produced. Wages were increased four times, amounting to a total of $1.20 per day, and $15,000 was spent on plant improvements. The company eventual exhausted the smelting material in the area and closed in 1927. In 1940 they began to salvage and sell off what equipment they could. In 1942 the company was finally dissolved.